On January 27, 2014, Mark J. Palumbo lost his life to hypothermia.
To honor her son’s memory, Nancy L. Premo, Mark’s mother, organized the Mark J. Palumbo Memorial Clothing Drive. By collecting warm clothing and gear, she wanted to help prevent others from dying due to exposure.
“In life, Mark was such a giving person, always focused on helping others,” said Nancy. “Upon his passing and in his honor, I wanted to do something to turn this personal tragedy into something positive.”
Now in its fifth year, this drive continues to grow with more organizations signing up to participate each year.
“It’s been truly heartwarming to see how this annual drive has grown, both in terms of participating organizations willing to support the cause, and the number of items collected that are helping provide for some of the most vulnerable in our community,” Nancy said.
Through February 28, participating businesses (see list below) will collect coats, hats, scarves, gloves, sweaters, boots, warm socks, fleece, sweatshirts, vests and anything else to help someone stay warm. All donations will be given to the Rescue Mission for distribution.
“The Mark J. Palumbo Memorial Clothing Drive provides much needed gear for the individuals and families we serve,” said Jeannine Goodrich, Community Engagement and Donation Specialist for the Rescue Mission. “We are truly blessed to be the recipient of this effort.”
If your business would like to join the effort, please contact Jeannine at (315) 701-3843.
"In life, Mark was such a giving person, always focused on helping others. Upon his passing and in his honor, I wanted to do something to turn this personal tragedy into something positive."Nancy L. Premo Mother of Mark J. Palumbo, and organizer of the Mark J. Palumbo Clothing Drive
Memorial Clothing Drive Donation Locations
- C&S Company: Eileen Collins Blvd., North Syracuse
- Bousquet Holstein: Chase Building 10th Floor, Syracuse
- Grossman St. Amour: Chase Building 9th Floor, Syracuse
- Bond, Schoeneck & King: Chase Building 18th Floor, Syracuse
- Scolaro, Fetter, Grizanti, & McGough, P.C.: 507 Plum Street, Syracuse Suite 300
- Cohen, Compagni, Beckman, Appler & Knoll, PLLC: 507 Plum Street Suite 310, Syracuse
- Clintons Ditch: 8478 Pardee Road, Cicero
- Onondaga County Trans. Dept.: Civic Center 11th Floor, Syracuse
- CenterState CEO: 115 West Fayette Street, Syracuse
- The Tech Garden: 235 Harrison Street, Syracuse
- CPS Recruitment: 904 7th North Street, Liverpool
- Liehs & Steigerwald: 117 E. Fayette Street, Syracuse
- Toshiba Business Solutions: 6800 Old Collamer Road. #5, East Syracuse
- Hancock Estabrook, LLP: 1500 AXA Tower 1, 100 Madison Street, Syracuse
- Solvay Bank (all 10 Locations) Main: 1537 Milton Ave., Solvay
- Beauty and Wellness Spa at Innovations: 3627 Route 31 (Moyers Corners), Liverpool
- Finger Lakes Law: 3895 Fennell Street, Skaneateles
- Town of Clay (Tax Receivers Office): 4401 Route 31, Clay